How to Use the Credit Transfer Service

The Credit Transfer Service allows you to search our transfer credit database in two different ways:

  1. If you would like to transfer to IU Bloomington from another college or university and you want to see how your credits would transfer, you can search by the school from which you would like to transfer.
  2. If you are a current IU Bloomington student and you would like to take a course at another institution to transfer back to IU, you can search by the IU course number for which you would like to earn credit.

Once you determine which search you would like to conduct, the Credit Transfer Service will walk you through a few simple steps. You'll ultimately have a "shopping cart of potential equivalents" that you can print and refer to in the future.

Note: We include the articulations of more than 30,000 courses from more than 300 schools. However, not every school in the world or even in the U.S. is in the database, nor is every course available from those schools that are listed in the system. What is there represents the most commonly occurring articulations that we process. If the school, department, or course you need is not found, and you are a current IU student, you can use the credit transfer agreement form to request an individual articulation.

The directions for its use are included with the form. You must meet the deadlines published on the form to receive this advanced articulation.

If your transcript is delivered through Parchment, eScrip-SAFE, or another electronic transcript vendor, IU will download that transcript within 1-2 business days after receipt. If your school requires an email address for electronic delivery, please use If your school provides only paper transcripts, request that an official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions, 940 E. Seventh Street, Bloomington, IN 47405-1106. We will evaluate the transcript and will update your permanent record with credit in those courses in which you earned a grade of "C" (2.0/4.0) or better. For any course in which a grade of "C-" or lower is received, no credit will be given. Transfer grades are not recorded in your IU GPA.

Official transcripts must be received by the Office of Admissions in a sealed college/university envelope. Transcripts previously opened will not be accepted for transfer credit.

Any student who has taken international coursework should submit the Request for Review of Undistributed Credit via for any courses taken at an international institution that are not listed on the Credit Transfer Service.

This Credit Transfer Service does not show how courses taken at other IU campuses apply toward an IU Bloomington degree. Please contact the school from which you are earning your IU Bloomington degree (for example, the College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Education) for more information.